Monday, October 5, 2009

I turned 22

This 2nd October, I turned 22. I don't know why, but to me, 22 looks like an age where I am supposed to be more mature and resposible. And I really don't know why I feel this. I never felt anything like it when I was coming out of my teens. Even till 21, it was fine. I mean 21 looks like an age when one could still be juvenile. When one could be a 'kid' and be carefree. But things just change with 22. Frankly speaking, I still don't feel like I am 22. Practically speaking, such kind of transition can't be expected in a day but still I think that I am burdening myself with some expectations.

Well actually I have all these time limits in my mind. They are deadline (looking for a better word here) kind of things. So 22 -23 is an age by which I should have obtained a stable job. 26-27 is an age by which I should have decided what I actually want to do in my life and so on. So having reached one deadline, I am a bit jittery.

I celebrated this birthday at my home after god-knows-how-many years. Our classes were off this week for the mid semester recess so I decided to go home, though only for 3 days. And it was just another typical birthday. The phone calls started coming in at 12. Actually they started coming before 12. There is this friend of mine who is always kind of first in wishing on birthdays. So he would call 2-3 minutes before its 12. So when ever you call a common friend on a birthday you would never be the first one. And I do think that its unfair :P .

So I got calls from all my cousins, relatives and friends. Though some of them gave a late call or forgot to call as I don't put my birth date on social networking sites. I really think that only those who cared to remember should give a call, though I do understand that it might sometimes be too much to expect out of a person and so I'm totally fine if someone forgets to wishes. But I really don't like thanking everyone who has wished me out of formality. I like personalized messages. Anything more than 'Happy Birthday' is a personalized message for me.

And after having spent 3 wonderful days at home, I am back again at the campus. The thesis and the placements have got me a bit worried these days. And I do hope that 22 brings me good luck and good fortune. I hope that this becomes an year which I would remember. Always.

6 comments:

Suruchi said...

HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY AMIT...
22 is a beautiful age...
actually all the ages are beautiful...so please don't be so heavy on urself and enjoy...

You write so well...that's a big,big,big achievement in itself...
Wish you many,many more joys in the coming years and loads of love n success...

Hope u meet all your deadlines and keep smiling through them all:)
Hugssssssssss

Ankit said...

*Ankit :P

Many many thanks for the wishes..

Sauc said...

the tag is more interesting than the title. :P
waise to lighten u a bit here is a quote from sunscreen song that I recall whenever I feel like I-am-sitting-here-doing-nothing-but-aging.

"Stretch.
Don't feel guilty if you don't know what you want to do with your
life…the most interesting people I know didn't know at 22 what they
wanted to do with their lives, some of the most interesting 40 year olds I know still don't."

Unknown said...

was it me u were referring to?? :P
neways.. i realized i never wished you on that day.. :D
happy belated b'day :)

Ankit said...

@Kush: Yes, its u who I am referring to.. And this is what happens when u call 5 mins earlier :P

Unknown said...

oye it was not 5 mins earlier.. it was 1 min earlier.. nd i had not counted on u to kick me saying u hv got another call.. :P