Saturday, August 14, 2010

Reasons I Like Books and Movies

There is a gratification that I derive in being able to understand what others want to say; in being able to relate to other people's experiences and feelings through my own experiences and feelings. Probably because it gives me the satisfaction that I understand the world better.

This is one of the reasons I like reading books and watching movies. They open me up to a whole new range of emotions, feelings and behaviours of individuals which would otherwise remain unknown. This vicarious learning makes up for what I lack in experience.I also feel happy when I think that I understand what the writer, director or the artist wants to convey. Connecting to a person's art is in a way connecting to the person himself.

The other reasons why I like movies and books is that they help me form opinions on things happening around me. I seriously feel a desire to be opinionated. And with time, this desire has actually become a necessity.

To think of it, the desire to have opinions is again linked to my yearning to understand the world, to rationalize the occurrences of the events, to give some meaning to the events that have already occurred, to differentiate right from wrong and probably also to decide upon a future course of action.

No comments: